Monday, December 24, 2012

The Dark, Cold Road We All Will Walk

Ever since my mother died, I have been overwhelmed by an outpouring of true love from my friends, neighbors, and coworkers. Really, truly overwhelmed. It's been two weeks. People's attention spans are short. I didn't expect warm hugs and wet eyes at this point, but they are still there for me. Yesterday a friend sent me an amazing gift. Today a neighbor told me, her eyes full of sorrow, "I think about you every day." I know she does. My heart is full. Everyone loses their mom at some point...my sorrow is not novel. It is not unique or noteworthy. I would think because it is just "part of life" it would be so forgettable to others. But people have not forgotten. The kindness continues day after day. And maybe that's because this grief is so very common...a path we all face. So why not lend a shoulder to cry on for one traversing that dark, cold road?

Thank you to everyone who has whispered a prayer, texted, connected with me on Facebook, called me, hugged me, helped me out, cried a tear with me...it's very healing and very comforting. Love to you all.




3 comments:

Melissa Giles said...

I'm sorry I haven't commented much. I just didn't know what to say. But you have been in my thoughts and prayers. I cried for you when I saw the terrible news on Facebook. I bawled when I read your post with the whole story. I cried that night in bed thinking about what it would be like to lose my own mom. I've never been so close to my own mother and can't imagine what it is like for you. But I have wished I was still in Idaho to at least give you a hug. I'm so sorry for your lose.

Mel said...

Sending you a hug! News of your mother is so sad and I pray for comfort for you and all who now wait to see her again.

Don't forget that this is a unique experience for you and albeit a heart wrenching and painful one there is inherent profundity you may later appreciate. Soak it in and write your pain away. Jot down those memories that have gone gray over the years and now pop up randomly...

Thank you for sharing your mother's story. I love the picture of her that you included in your last post. So beautiful!

Liz Smith said...

i've actually been thinking about you a lot. wish i could give you a hug in person. you and your family will continue to be in my heart and prayers. much love!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Your Ad Here